Saturday 23 January 2010

Rising Baseball Star Leaves Profession for Priesthood



Soon to be seminarian and 'L'Osservatore Romano' 2015 Calendar Priest for November, Grant Desme. Sorry, ladies, he's off limits!

May God be praised! What a generous and courageous man!

Oakland Athletics prospect Grant Desme has turned his back on professional baseball - to join the Priesthood. The 23-year-old outfielder was the Most Valuable Player in last year's Arizona Fall League, where major league clubs send their top prospects each autumn. But Desme, a lifelong Catholic, plans to enter a seminary this summer.

"I was doing well at baseball. But I really had to get down to the bottom of things - I love the game, but I aspire to higher things," he explained. "I wasn't at peace where I was at. I have no regrets. I felt that while baseball is a good thing, I thought it was selfish of me to be doing that when I really felt that God was calling me more

Desme, who had looked set to receive an invitation to spring training with Oakland's major league players next month, had been considering the move for over a year, despite hitting 31 home runs and stealing 40 bases in the minor leagues in 2009. "Last year before the season started, I really had a strong feeling of a calling and a real strong desire to follow it. I just fought it," he explained. "As the year went on, God blessed me. I had a better year than I could have imagined, but that reconfirmed my desire. "I felt that while baseball is a good thing, I thought it was selfish of me to be doing that when I really felt that God was calling me more."

He informed the A's management on Thursday evening, and now expects to begin "a 10-year process" towards becoming a priest while he studies at St Michael's Abbey in Orange County. Oakland general manager Billy Beane added: "We respect Grant's decision and wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavours."

So, he's traded in whacking balls for whacking the Devil, the flesh, the World and the self. Great news!

No comments:

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...