Respond to Pro-Abortion MPs Letter to The Guardian
John Bercow MP (Conservative)
I just got a message from the SPUC.
The pro-abortion lobby has written a letter to The Guardian newspaper calling for widening of the abortion law and attacking the Catholic Church for opposing their proposals.
Catholic Church and the Right to Choose
Reforms would allow early abortions in community settings, such as GPs' surgeries, where appropriate. With medical abortion under nine weeks' gestation, reforms would allow one of the drugs used to be taken at home, as is routine in the US. These drugs are already taken at home by UK women after early natural miscarriage. The reforms aim to allow abortion earlier, which is acknowledged to be safer and less invasive.
Another proposal would extend the 1967 Act to Northern Ireland. UK citizens deserve equal legal rights to healthcare wherever they live and Northern Irish women should not have to travel to Britain for abortion in secrecy and stigma at their own expense. The Catholic church often speaks out against injustice and inequality, and supports the exercise of individual conscience in accordance with its beliefs. In contrast, sadly, its position on reproductive rights perpetuates injustice against women and fails to respect women's considered decisions, made in good conscience.
Jon O'Brien, Catholics for Choice, Ann Furedi, British Pregnancy Advisory Service, Julie Bentley, Family Planning Association, Simon Blake, Brook, John Bercow MP, Con, Buckingham, Dr Evan Harris MP, Lib Dem, Oxford West and Abingdon, Emily Thornberry MP, Lab, Islington South & Finsbury, Dr Wendy Savage, Doctors for a Woman's Choice on Abortion, Marge Behrer, Voice for Choice, Lisa Hallgarten, Education for Choice, Louise Hutchins, Abortion Rights
• the Guardian, by email to email@example.com or by post to: Letters to the editor, The Guardian, 119 Farringdon Road, London, EC1R 3ER
• the MPs who co-authored the letter:
- John Bercow, Conservative MP for Buckingham, email BERCOWJ@parliament.uk
- Dr Evan Harris Liberal Democrat MP for Oxford West and Abingdon, email firstname.lastname@example.org or HARRISE@parliament.uk
- Emily Thornberry, Labour MP for Islington South & Finsbury, email emilythornberrymp@parliame