Saturday 22 October 2011

New Translation 'Chant': Will parishes be provided with Diocesan sick bags?



...Warning: Do not, I repeat, do not watch the above video on a full stomach...

The St Mary Magdalen Choir Blog has posted a quite astonishing piece concerning what parish choir leaders should be expecting from the first Sunday in Advent. The choir leader attended, in a spirit of fraternity with other parish choir leaders in the Diocese, a 'taster' of what the new translation of the Mass could mean for the liturgical renewal of parish life in Arundel and Brighton. She was, reading from the blog, to put it mildly, quite taken aback. Apparently the music above is what the Diocese rather generously describes as 'Gregorian Chant'. For once, words fail me. All I will say is...No, I've been posting too much on that subject recently. Just watch the video and you'll see what I mean. Is this a Mass setting for the Catholic Church or music for a megachurch in Hackney?

11 comments:

Ben Trovato said...

It's pretty rough, isn't it, that video...

Richard Collins said...

May I send you my cleaning bill Laurence?
And that was after only 2.5 seconds!

Ttony said...

Hello, Houston ...

Left-footer said...

What's going on in there? Emetic, whatever it is.

Jonathan Marshall said...

Truly emetic.

Was this - thing - really produced by/for a Catholic parish??

AndrewWS said...

Well, I have just watched it on a full stomach and managed about 30 seconds.

This is the sort of thing that would work quite well on stage in an updated version of Godspell, but it's not really appropriate for a place of worship.

Mater mari said...

Before watching the video, Laurence, I rather uncharitably thought you might be nit-picking. Mea maxima culpa. I managed 20 seconds and thought that was heroic! And what was the significance of drinking from what appears to be a wine bottle? I'm certainly not going to look again to try to work it out!

ref said...

I don't know that this is supposed to be a "mass setting", nor has it anything to do with the new traslation. "Taste and See" is years old now. This dramatisation could be quite effective in certain settings although probably not during mass. Are you sure that's what was being suggested?

The Bones said...

I would read the choir leader's blog for more info and maybe ask in the comments section.

ORA PRO NOBIS said...

I just want to state one thing that there is no way that Boyce and Stanley would condone the use of this music on their video. They may write modern music but, I can confirm that they are more faithful to the magisterium that most traditionalists I know.

ORA PRO NOBIS said...

No need to post this but,

Dear Bones - I have just read your post again. I was defending Boyce and Stanley because they would never condone having their soundtrack over this 'gay gospel' staged video. However, I didn't realise that it was the music you were talking about (I can understand that many would not like the music). Having gone over the comments however, I don't think most people have picked up on the gay theme.

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...