Saturday 1 October 2011

Happy St Therese of Lisieux Day...

Nice sentiment, but in Catholic terms, patently untrue...
Personally, I think the quote (left) is cobblers, since we are nearer God's Heart in a Catholic Church than anywhere else on earth, since it is there that the Eucharistic Heart of Jesus abides. Still, it is a nice sentiment and we shouldn't be too pedantic...

It is an interesting quote much loved by many gardeners. Last night, after the Latin Mass we had Catechism with Fr Ray Blake and were discussing the Fall. It was a very good Catechism discussion, wide-ranging and quite captivating.

Today, I was 'with labour and toil' among 'thorns and thistles' and 'in the sweat of' my 'face' did till the 'earth, out of which' I was 'taken: for dust' I 'art', 'and into dust' I 'shalt return'. It is interesting that the author of the quote (above left) said such a thing, given that it was in a garden that we fell, the same garden in which God had 'walked' with Adam and Eve 'in the cool of the evening'. It was also in a garden that Our Lord sweated blood for our sakes and it was thorns that crowned Him in His Passion to redeem Adam and Eve and all their sons and daughters including us. Interesting, too, that after the Resurrection, Our Lord appeared to St Mary Magdalen as a gardener, of all things. Gardening was, I guess, the first job after the Fall and the trade is still going strong today!

The family for whom I was gardening today live in Bevendean, which is a quite beautiful area of Brighton. Around the estate of houses are fields and cows and hills. It is so peaceful, away from the often overwhelming hecticness of the town (I refuse to acknowledge its 'city status') centre. It is a real treat to be able to get away from it.

Stunning scenery of Ditchling Beacon
The other day I went to Ditchling Beacon (right) in the van in the evening and saw a glorious sunset. This picture doesn't really do the view justice. I liked it so much that I went back the next day in the van and looked at it again, this time taking a couple of friends with me, one of whom appreciated it very much, the other of whom was too drunk and ill to enjoy it. He started shouting in the middle of the countryside and disturbing the tourists and ramblers. You can take the man out of his ASBO zone but you can't take the ASBO zone out of the man, which is kind of what the Fall is about.

Not that I'm any better. I pranged someone's car as I was reversing when we arrived back in Brighton, drove off, thinking nothing of it and was called later that day by someone asking for my insurance details. I'd like to say I had left a note on her window but I hadn't - I was traced! Mea culpa! I hadn't noticed any damage, but she was right to say that you can't just 'bash someone's car and drive off'. Eek!  Apparently there was a small scratch and a dent that I hadn't seen. I asked her if she was genuinely aggrieved at the damage to her car or was just trying to shaft me because I had not left my details. She actually laughed when I asked her that. She said, "Don't do it again" and I hope and pray that she isn't going to shaft me (please St Anthony, encourage God to encourage her to be merciful!). Another thing to take to Confession.

Anyway, before this blogpost begins to ramble too much, just wishing readers a happy St Therese of Lisieux Day. I don't know whether she actually enjoyed gardening, but she did seem to enjoy garden references rather. I would very much have liked to go to the Guild of Blessed Titus Brandsma meeting today at Our Lady of the Rosary, Blackfen but had already booked a gardening client. I hope and pray it went very well. I love Our Lady of the Rosary. Imagine it! A Church with a bar in the Church hall! Can it actually get better than that!? For more general gardening quotes, click here...

No comments:

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...