Monday 16 February 2009

No Kissing, Please. We're British!



Oh good grief...Why would anyone want to come to this country!? I think I'm going to gather as many people as I can and go to Spain.

Courtesy of Sky News

Lovers parting at a Cheshire rail station may find themselves caught in a dangerous liaison - especially if they share a kiss under the 'No Kissing' sign. Far from killing the mood, authorities argue the aim is to stop commuters missing their taxis. Officials at Warrington Bank Quay Station agreed to a romance-free zone, which was suggested by the local chamber of commerce.

"They may seem frivolous, but there is a serious message underneath. They certainly make our station unique," Colin Daniels, chief executive of Warrington Chamber of Commerce said.

If lovers want to smooch, they have to do so in the designated kissing area situated nearby. The directive has got tongues wagging at the station - but of course, only in the permissible way. Ruth Hardman and her partner Alan Dawson were heading home to the Lake District. "I was gob-smacked when I saw them. They should spend the money on something more worthwhile," Ms Hardman said.

Amy Swain who was travelling to Lancaster with her boyfriend Malcolm Kenny said she did not see the point in the no kissing sign: "I don't think it'll stop people." Others however could see the funny side. "[My partner's] car was parked beneath the kissing sign and I thought he'd put it up as a joke. It made me laugh," said Lynne Surgenor, from Glasgow.

John Finney, from St Helens, said: "Someone in an office somewhere must have a good sense of humour. "We're law-abiding citizens, though, so of course we won't be breaking the rules."

Train passenger Jenna Seddon, 23, from Warrington, said she thought the signs were sweet. "It's romantic and a bit of fun. It'll stop people from holding up the traffic as well."

The Daily Mail today highlights the views of Dame Stella Rimington, the first female head of MI5, who has lambasted the Government for using terrorism fears to create a 'police state'. Click here for more.

1 comment:

matthew archbold said...

great find on this story. I just found your blog. I'll be back.

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...