Thursday 26 February 2009

God of Mercy and Compassion: E Vaughan



We also sang this last night. Lovely, lovely hymn. Looking at the link to this hymn on YouTube I noticed a plea from a Catholic in Pakistan for prayers because of persecutions happening there. He/she says, "Pray for us, we are persecuted, no media shows it, please pray for our women who are raped, killed, nuns and priests persecuted, please, pray for us."

Aid to the Church in need release a report on the persecution of Christians around the globe called, 'Persecuted and Forgotten'. It does appear persecution of the Church is worse in majority Islamic countries than anywhere else. I don't think the mass media do report everything that happens to the Church and to Her members. I know the Orissan Christians in India got a small mention and so did the Chaldean Christians of Iraq, but it usually spends more time reporting mad, suspended Bishops or negative publicity about the Church.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The hymn tune is actually from Britanny and can be found on an album called 'Sonj' where it is titled 'Pasion Hon Zalver'

The Bones said...

It's very beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Yes - it is beautiful, despite its melancholy. I hate Wesleyan style hymns. I took me 40 years to find out why I liked this one! I heard it in a Catholic environment, by the way.

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...