Tuesday 10 February 2009

$1.5 Trillion Bank Bailout Plan



President Obama is set to bail out the banking industry (what again?!) with a $1.5 trillion plan. I'm beginning to wonder if the astronomical sums of money which are being reported in the news are the US administration's way of saying, "Look, we've got so much money, we literally don't know what to do with it, so we'll give it to the financial sector." Given that the Bush administration poured such vast amounts of dollars into an endless two-pronged 'War on Terror' which can never be seen to have success, where on earth is this bottomless pit of cash?

I sort of understand this new economic-government theory that you can just magic up vast sums of money by passing the debt onto the 'average Joe' for years to come, in a rash-last-ditch-bid to bail out the very people who screwed up the West's economic stability in the first place. But, really, how much money can the Governments of the West just 'create' out of thin air?

I don't understand economics, but it becomes more and apparent that nobody in authority understands economics either, and clearly, financial institutions who gambled away people's money on investments and gilt-edged-whatevers or 'hedge funds' (whatever they are!) clearly don't know what they are doing either.

I suspect that Obama, and for that matter, Brown's, financial 'investments' and 'rescue packages' will be wasted on the banking industry, who, just like me, are selfish and reckless playboys. It's just they look different because they wear suits and own yachts.

I mean, does nobody think to say, before signing the cheque for $1.5 trillion..."Hey, guys, I've just had a thought and it keeps bugging me...What if this package doesn't work? Wouldn't that be, like, a total waste of millions and millions of dollars at the taxpayers' expense? Just a thought, you know, I'm probably just being silly and over-cautious...You know, like, when you go out of the house and think to youself, 'Oh no, did I really turn the cooker off before I locked up?'"

Ooh, update, people, Times Online say its $3 trillion...that's, crikey that's double what was reported yesterday! One of their advisors must keep calling the White House saying, "Sorry guys, I always get my decimal points in the wrong place. Yes, 3 trillion."

No comments:

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...