Sunday 8 December 2013

Mandela and Abortion



'It was with sadness that I learned of the death of former President Nelson Mandela, and I send prayerful condolences to all the Mandela family, to the members of the Government and to all the people of South Africa. In commending the soul of the deceased to the infinite mercy of Almighty God, I ask the Lord to console and strengthen all who mourn his loss. Paying tribute to the steadfast commitment shown by Nelson Mandela in promoting the human dignity of all the nation’s citizens and in forging a new South Africa built on the firm foundations of non-violence, reconciliation and truth, I pray that the late President’s example will inspire generations of South Africans to put justice and the common good at the forefront of their political aspirations. With these sentiments, I invoke upon all the people of South Africa divine gifts of peace and prosperity.'

FRANCISCUS PP

Your Holiness, I see in your telegramme a startling inaccuracy!

3 comments:

Celia said...

Yes, our parish priest praised him (and granted there was a lot to praise otherwise)at Mass this morning. Which is more than he did for Pope Benedict, whose departure went unnoticed, although he (the PP) conceded to me privately he thought he'd done 'great things' for the Church.

Physiocrat said...

Santa subito?

Anonymous said...

We were required to pray explicitly for Nelson Mandela at Mass this morning too, which came as a disturbing imposition!

On reading this I thought I'd spotted a second glaring inaccuracy: i.e. that it was signed 'Franciscus PP.'

But then after trawling through recent Vatican news bulletins, I noted that he has used this on the odd occasion in the past, although not for either encyclicals, the recent exhortation, or much else.

An explanation would be welcome...

Anyone??

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...