Friday 15 February 2013

Lenten Reading

I recently went on a day trip to Shoreham-by-Sea and stopped off at a charity shop. I like charity shops because you never know what you're going to find.

It's amazing how many good religious books one finds in charity shops and the old books are the best.

In Shoreham, I found a lovely little book on a Saint I had never heard of called Saint Mary Euphrasia and it is my lenten reading book.

Like all Saints she was hardcore. It is a beautifully written biography of a very heroic nun who was to become founderess of the Good Shepherd Sisters.

You can read a little biography of her life here. It's nice when Saints turn up and you hear about their life story when you've never heard of them before. It makes it feel like they've picked you.

Her Feast falls on April 24th.

"Though old stars burn out and die, look to the new and even beyond." ~ St Mary Euphrasia

A rather apt quote for today, I guess.

No comments:

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...