Monday 4 January 2010

Prayer to St Joseph of Cupertino



My fiancee is on her way back from Poland. She asked me to say a prayer for her as like many of us she doesn't like flying. If the plane crashes I'm holding St Joseph of Cupertino responsible for not guiding her back safely as he is patron of air travel and I just said a prayer to him for her. When I was looking up a prayer to him I got this one for those preparing for examinations. It's hilarious!

O Great St. Joseph of Cupertino who while on earth did obtain from God the grace to be asked at your examination only the questions you knew, obtain for me a like favour in the examinations for which I am now preparing. In return I promise to make you known and cause you to be invoked.

Through Christ our Lord.

St. Joseph of Cupertino, Pray for us. Amen.

What does that mean?! '...only the questions you knew!?' In my day that was called cheating! Who'd have thought the Lord would acquiesce in such a thing!? Still, we all know what kind of 'examinations' the poor British public will be having in a couple of months time at UK airports! Skegness Town Council probably can't wait for these full body scanners to be introduced!

Meanwhile The Guardian reports that...

'The rapid introduction of full body scanners at British airports threatens to breach child protection laws which ban the creation of indecent images of children.'

This is, of course, a very good point. Has Gordon Brown ever been CRB checked? Its about time, if he hasn't. I don't think it'll be worth the paper its printed on once grown men and women are looking over children's private parts at airports, but there we go. This Government are so useless they couldn't organise an orgy in Brighton.

4 comments:

Mulier Fortis said...

St. Joseph wanted to be ordained, but was not too hot on the old academic front. When he was up for his diaconate ordination, the Bishop examined all the candidates one by one. The student before St Joseph gave such brilliant answers, that the Bishop was impressed and passed the lot of them there and then, saying that they'd all obviously been so well taught!

Then when it was time for the final exam, St Joseph got asked something about Our Lady (remember that this was all done in Latin) and it turned out that this was the only text which he knew, but he waxed so eloquent on this (favourite) topic of his that he was passed!

Being asked about something you know isn't cheating!!! It's called providence!

The Bones said...

It's like doing the GCSE Geography syllabus and only revising the water table and then being asked a question on the water table. Thanks for the info its a great story!

pelerin said...

Oh exams! I remember my Geography teacher being convinced we would have questions on British Columbia for our GCE. She had worked this out because it whad been many years since this area had appeared on the papers. She drummed the geography of this Canadian province into us lesson after lesson and guess what? We were not asked one single question on British Columbia and I failed the exam!

I had never heard of St Joseph of Cupertino then. Isn't he the Saint who levitated or am I thinking of someone else?

The Bones said...

Yes and fly and stuff.

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...