Monday 21 September 2009

Christian Hoteliers Charged After Arguing with Muslim Guest



One rule for Muslims, another rule for Christians? Do you think this lady was arrested? I doubt it somehow. I imagine she was allowed to protest 'peacefully'. While I doubt very much that I would be so bold as to insult the founder of Islam to a Muslim's face, I do not understand why the State is intervening into private arguments or discussions of a religious nature.

Courtesy of The Times

A pair of Christian hoteliers in Lancashire who argued with a Muslim guest at
the breakfast table have been charged with a religiously-aggravated offence.
Dutch-born Ben Vogelenzang said that Mohammed, the founder of Islam, was a
warlord, while his wife Sharon, 54, described the hijab as a form of bondage, it
is claimed.

The incident happened in March when the unnamed guest, who
was staying at the hotel while being treated at a nearby hospital, came down to
breakfast wearing a hijab, a traditional Muslim headdress covering the hair.

The couple had never seen her wear the religious clothing before and a
discussion ensued. The guest complained to police and the couple were charged
under the 1986 Public Order Act - with using “threatening, abusive or insulting
words” which were “religiously aggravated”.
If I were a policeman and someone came up to me and said, "Officer! Someone just said something that really offended me! Please, do something, I feel genuinely insulted," then I think I'd reply, "Oh you poor lamb. We've all had days like that. Go home, have a bath, get some aromatherapy candles on and you'll have forgotten all about it in the morning, unless you're the type who really nurses grievances for long periods of time. Still, why not just turn the other cheek and forgive? Honestly, you'll feel better for it."

If religious hate laws were truly applied in this country, I'd imagine nearly all the Times columnists, Guardian columnists and Independent columnists would be in court before a judge every day. But since such laws are not applied when the Catholic faith or Christianity is attacked, such people are still at large. Strange, isn't it?

The next time I go out for a pint with one of my atheist friends and he starts saying things like, "I like what Jesus said, but I think he was just a good teacher, you know. He was only human. I reckon he probably got it on with Mary Magdalen," then obviously I'll do the decent thing and call the cops...

1 comment:

Physiocrat said...

If the religious hate laws were applied the Koran would be banned.

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...