Friday 8 May 2009

A Brush with Death


Why, Dr Nitschke? Is that a soon-to-be murderous gas cannister in your hand, or are you just pleased to see me?

Everybody! I met Dr Death! Not only did I meet him, but I told him to his face that what he was doing was irresponsible, in selling kits to test the strength of banned drugs brought into the country illegally from Mexico, in order for people to kill themselves. He claimed that his stance on suicide was 'neutral'. I told him that the kits were hardly going to be used in order not to commit suicide. He denied he was 'promoting' suicide, even though seemingly every waking moment he has, he is thinking of new ways people can top themselves. I somehow managed to gain access to the meeting even though it was advertised on the radio as being for over 50's only. I was asked no question on entry nor was I asked in the meeting to leave because I was too young. There were other 30-somethings there too. What a gigantic fibber he is!

After the talk, I told ABC news, BBC South Today and guys from The Argus, that I thought he was reckless and that his presence in a venue three doors down from the YMCA was scandalous. I don't know whether I was on TV in the US, or in the UK on South Today, but I did get my quote and picture in The Argus. This is just the beginning! I have decided that if people like Nitschke are going to shameless promote themselves and their views, then I might as well do it too...and what is more, at least I'll be preaching the Faith of Christ and defending the sanctity and value of human life!

Anyway, Dr Death spoke for what felt like an eternity but was probably more like one and a half hours. I spent most of his lecture with my head in my hands pleading to God for the people in the room listening to him. Sadly, I was the only person there who was critical of Nitschke and the rabid suicide cult leader had the rest of the room eating out of the palm of his blood-stained hand. I asked him whether he felt any conflict between being a doctor, taking the hypocratic oath and then doing what he is doing. He basically replied that the hypocratic oath was an old, out-dated load of mumbo jumbo. Cracking! I can see why the medical community have distanced themselves from this total and utter nutjob.

During the talk he took us through the intricacies of suicide law, told us about his death machine, which he used on two victims when assisted suicide laws were relaxed briefly in Australia, now on display in the British museum, and showed us a video of a lady called "Betty" who demonstrated how to build an elasticised plastic bag to put over your head should times get hard after having ensured a friend or neighbour takes the bag away in the wake of your suicide to remove the evidence, so that 'suicide' doesn't go down on your death certificate, should you be ashamed of it. He appeared to me like a man addicted to death and to killing people. I was reminded of Dr Harold Shipman, who was sent down for euthanising the elderly and infirm as a GP.

I also managed to talk with Rev David Coleman. I told him I thought it was irresponsible to put Dr Death on and to give him such a platform. I asked him how he thought the lecture had gone and how he felt about it.

He said, "I was moved."
I said, "Hmm...Did you feel the Holy Spirit was moving?"
He said, "Yes. Yes, I think she was."

Frankly, even though I thought that response was hilarious, unfortunately, it sums up the problem with Rev David Coleman and his brand of Christianity. He believes Christianity should embrace new ideas and be open to change - any change. There is so much I could say about how sinister Dr Nitschke is and dangerous to families, individuals, society and human life he is. I think I have said as much as I can. I hope and pray that this and his other workshops in the UK do not result in any suicides, either now or in the future.

9 comments:

Athanasius said...

Bravo, Laurence, good work. I'm sure your prayers will not go unheeded.

As evil as Dr Death certainly is - I'm afraid people like that Rev Coleman do as much damage to us by watering down Christianity to the extent where it even embraces people like Dr Death.

Keep up the good work!

Prayers.

JamesP said...

Well done Laurence!

But...

Don't you think you should have stayed away and allowed Bishop Kieran Conry to take care of things?

Not!

b said...

Good man!

annie said...

The Shipman comparison sounds about right. No normal person goes about telling people how to top themselves. No normal person thinks it's ok to sell DIY kits. And no allegedly Christian clergyperson in her/his right mind should think vulnerable life so disposable that s/he hosts a suicide workshop. Oh wait, silly me, I forgot, suicide's a lifestyle choice, isn't it, free from any ramifications. I have to confess I was slightly baffled by the age limit. I've known more people in their teens and 20s with depression than 50s. I call that discrimination.

Great stuff Laurence :D

Unknown said...

I second Athanasius' "Bravo!" The Holy Spirit was indeed working- in you. The fact that your age wasn't questioned at an "event" for 50+ just affirms my belief that Death doesn't ask any questions. It doesn't when it comes to abortion either.
As much as I'd love to choke this guy with my Rosaries, I guess Our Lady would rather I pray for him on them.
God Bless!

Kate said...

Laurence, that was a courageous witness to the truth, God will surely answer your prayers.
Of Dr. Nitschke and Rev. Coleman, I don't know which worries me more; the atheist who thinks that suicide is a good, or the Christian (supposedly)who thinks the atheist might be right!

Anonymous said...

GOOD FOR YOU, Laurence.

Anonymous said...

Well done! Good for you. It's a shame no one else made a stand against him. What baffles me is how, if suicide is illegal in the UK, was this talk allowed to take place in the first place?!

I just hope and pray that people will see the evil in his methods, and that he will eventually stopped from being allowed to promote his death-wielding talks and workshops.

DomJP said...

Well done sir.

A friend of mine tried to kill his self last weekend. He failed because he didn't know how much and what drugs to take and was taken to the hospital quickly after his overdose.

A week later after lots of prayer, love and support from the Christians at the homeless shelter he lives at he has a new attitude on life and is making tentative steps forward and I am taking him to his first Holy Mass tonight!

Also this week a guy I've worked with before hung his-self due to depression caused by the breakdown of a relationship and being denied access to his child. What a tragedy.

My blood boils to think of vulnerable people being encouraged to kill themselves when they are desperate and lonely.

We all need to get into the front line like Laurence, with prayer and steadfast resistance to the murderers who promote abortion and euthanasia.

The Darkness cannot stand when exposed by the light.

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...