Friday 27 February 2009

New Laws



Every day it seems a new law comes into being
Every day we say, "I can't quite believe what I am seeing"
Clearly the previous laws were old and outdated
I guess if they didn't make new ones they'd only get frustrated

Yet they keep making new ones and keep getting elected
While people are wondering, "Aren't our rights being neglected?"
But bad Governments really only want our submission
"Come on now and behave like true Englishmen
Be polite, quiet, obedient, self-effacing
Don't worry if you discover
It's your movements we're tracing"

"But I remember the days when I could smoke down the local"
"I remember the days when the police were quite jovial"
"I remember the days before Governmentalism"
"Before we gave up our freedom for fear of terrorism"
"I remember the days when free speech wasn't banned"
"Before Our Lady's Dowry became an unpleasant land"

I remember the days
When I wasn't under suspicion
Until one day I stepped out
To be greeted by policemen
It hasn't happened yet
But I'd be willing to bet
If I sang this song and a few sang along
It wouldn't be a matter of if, no, but when

Because the new laws are chilling
If the police beat me up nobody'd be filming
CCTV would be doctored
While my blood they'd be spilling
Only the Good Lord would know
That my crushed bones were thrilling!

Because each new law
Tries to bury the New Law
Because each new law
Tries to bury the True Law
Because each new law
Tries to bury the Maker of the Law

Yet because the New Law
Is stronger than the new laws
The New Law will win
Because the New Law
Is Eternal
Unchanging
It doesn't need any revision
It doesn't need updating
It just says time and again
To the hearts of women
And to the hearts of men
And to all legislators
"Love conquers sin!"

And who'd have thought that?
I mean you really couldn't legislate for that
But isn't that why they keep making new laws?
Because deep down they are afraid?
And deep down so are we
But it does beg the question
"Whatever will they think of next?"

No comments:

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...