Saturday 11 October 2008

Ian Curtis RIP



My band did a gig on Thursday and a good friend of mine rather worryingly said I reminded him of Ian Curtis. The singer of Joy Division tragically committed suicide when he was 23, perhaps not just because of the fact that the recognition and publicity his band received felt to him like a poisoned chalice, but also suffered from depression and epilepsy and had a torrid personal life, torn as he was between two women. It does seem an awful lot of musicians who "make it" end up despising their public life and themselves for allowing it to happen. As for my band, I guess you could say my lack of talent and the consequential lack of fame is a real blessing from God.

In hindsight it is lucky Joy Division didn't play prisons...

No comments:

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...