Friday 17 October 2008

Well that was something else...



I think I may have found my vocation.

I decided tonight to go into town and do some busking as there is a guy called George who is usually in town who I sing Knockin' on Heaven's Door with. On my way, I saw a man called Jason who I know from Church who is homeless. He's just recently got out of prison. The police were walking with him and I had just seen them pour his beer away in front of him. After the police had finished with him we walked and talked together into town. We set up for busking a couple of Johnny Cash songs in a pedestrianised area with a cool guy who was playing mandolin. We were singing Folsom Prison Blues quite awfully, when suddenly a guy out of nowhere comes along and spits in Jason's face. I was horrified...this is the kind of thing that the homeless face in Brighton. I felt terrible because I had encouraged him to put himself in a public position and draw attention to himself. I felt awful for Jason. He told me he'd been hit that day in the face as well. We decided to call it a night after that incident but then he said he wanted to sing when we got to another area with seating outside a bar. He sings really loudly and well! He'll sing even better when he is sober...

We did a number of songs, including 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door', 'Folsom Prison Blues' and 'Panic'. Jason has all the balls I don't have so he was egging on the bystanders and customers to listen to us and give money. And they did! We made £10 in an hour! We belted out The Smiths' 'Heaven Knows I am Miserable Now'. I remembered the chords from when I learned it years ago. Given all that had happened that evening, I found it rather poignant. I feel this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

2 comments:

madame evangelista said...

Bad enough to be ignored, but for someone to actively spit in his face... sometimes I can't believe the hatred inside people.

Although you could take a lighter view that the spitting guy was also drunk - and a Johnny Cash fan. Everyone's a critic.

The Bones said...

It seems to me that the very poor face a similar derision and hatred as Our Lord endured from the crowds who spat upon Him during His Passion.

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...