Sunday 14 September 2008

Exaltation of the Holy Cross



Today is the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. Our parish priest at St Mary Magdalen's Church, Fr Ray Blake, in his homily encouraged us not to fear embracing the Cross of Christ. Over the last few weeks I have been moved by his preaching on the need for us to take up our Cross and follow Jesus Christ. I am one of his flock here in Brighton. I am privileged enough to have many conversations with our parish priest and he does have a priestly understanding of how easy it is for us to fall into sin, or run away from the Cross, in a town with so many distractions! In a recent homily he described the Cross as "the loneliest place to be."

Of course, my priest is speaking from experience. The life of a parish priest, while joyful, must at times be very painful, because they have sacrificed their own desires for a wife and a family, the many pleasures of the world and worldly status. I never really understand why there are so few canonised Saints who were parish priests. We only know of one, who was St Jean Vianney, patron of parish priests. I would imagine that the Eucharist and prayer is the source that gives them the strength to carry their Cross in towns in which so many, it would seem, are having a great time. Yet our priest does it and with great humility. Often when I meet Priests I find myself thinking, "How on earth does he do it?" See, it isn't just about self-denial with a Priest. It's also about the compassion of Christ. What I am really asking is, how do they deny themselves so much, yet still offer compassion and love to the Faithful? Every Priest I have met, for I have been fortunate, has been compassionate and faithful in dispensing the mercy of Christ.

Undoubtedly it is the loneliest place, the Cross. And yet, so many Saints have born witness to the Cross of Christ. Whether it be Martyrs down the ages who have not fled from shedding their own blood for His sake, or mystics of the Church who have by Grace, been taught the meaning of true love by the Cross. How many mystics, such as St Theresa of Avila or St John of the Cross spoke in their writings of the utter desolation they felt for long periods in their prayer life? St John of the Cross sometimes spoke of feeling as if his soul had been thrown to a lion and was being mauled to death! Blessed Theresa of Calcutta also spoke of this desolation. St Francis of Assisi and St Padre Pio even bore the Wounds, happy Saints though they were.

To the World the Cross is either folly or an enigma. I party pretty hard in this town, I can tell you, but still experience a kind of ridicule in conversations with friends and colleagues about the Catholic Faith. I have one friend who pretty much consistently tries to persuade me that I should change my religious outlook in order to experience a happier life. Yet, though I sin and fall, if in my heart I tried to forget entirely the precepts of Holy Mother Church, would it profit me anything? I suppose what he is really saying is, "Why can't you do away with guilt?" Well, welcome to the Catholic Faith, my friend, it isn't a bed of roses! Maybe guilt is not such a bad thing! A bit more guilt in this World might save many lives, many souls or even stop wars! On account of my sins I must bear it with patience. Yet is this not because to many the Cross is folly? In a World in which pleasure and the satisfaction of our own personal desires is promoted so heavily, the Cross is bound to be met with confusion or derision. Being "in the World, but not of it" is not an easy task and Our Lord never said it would be. Yet again, today, He calls us to take up our Cross and follow Him.

We praise You and we worship You, O Christ. For by Your Holy Cross, You have redeemed the whole World.




No comments:

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...