Saturday 11 September 2010

Protestant Truth Society to Protest Pope Visit?

The Protestant Truth Society Bookshop
I was reading Damian Thompson's blog, on which he gives Peter Tatchell a good dressing down on his upcoming documentary, set to depict Pope Benedict XVI as the single biggest threat to the World and its children since an untraceable CIA-trained Muslim orchestrated a devastating and complex attack on the US from an Afghan cave using only a wrist watch and a mobile phone, when I read in Damian's comments section that the Protestant Truth Society are set to protest against the Papal Visit. Wow! This is just like old times!

'Papal Visit Protest, led by the Protestant Truth Society in co-operation with other Protestant organisations on Friday 17th September 2010. The protest is to be held in front of The Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre Broad Sanctuary, Westminster, London SW1P 3EE Protesters are invited to arrive from 3:30 for 4:00pm Pope Benedict XVI is expected around 5:00pm. The protest will be finished by 7:30pm. Appropriate scriptural placards will be provided. Please don’t come with any third party placards. Specially produced tracts will also be supplied.'

In other words, don't come with tracts quoting the Bible, such as 'Thou art Peter, the Rock and upon this Rock I Shall Build My Church' or 'Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.'. One commenter suggested some protestful protestant slogans for banners, some of which I reproduce here:

'PURGATORY PROBABLY DOESN'T EXIST

TRANSUBSTANTIATION IS AN ERRONEOUS DOCTRINE AT LEAST SOME OF US THINK SO WELL ACTUALLY IT'S A BIT COMPLICATED TO EXPLAIN RIGHT NOW

BEN YOU'RE NOT INFALLIBLE EVEN IF YOU EVER CLAIM TO BE WHICH ADMITTEDLY NO POPE HAS FOR OVER 100 YEARS JUST WATCH IT THAT'S ALL

ON THE ONE HAND... ON THE OTHER HAND... IN A VERY REAL SENSE... ER... WHAT DO WE BELIEVE ANYWAY?

WHAT DO WE WANT? ROWAN! WHEN DO WE WANT HIM? ER, UM, ... THERE'S REALLY NO HURRY

WE LOVE HENRY VIII NOW THERE'S A THEOLOGIAN WE CAN RESPECT'

I see that Larry "We decided to pull Building 7" Silverstein's company, Silverstein Properties, are set to be heavily involved in the new construction, set to take the place of the towers at Ground Zero. How fortunate it was that he took out insurance on terror attacks just weeks before 9/11 and proceeded to win double the payout in court because there were two separate attacks, so, I guess he can afford to be involved in the new project. Now that's what I call a piece of shrewd and prudent business in the face of unmitigated tragedy!

Anyway, if you can think of any more amusing Protestant Truth Society protest slogans, pop them in the comments box...

May the souls of all the departed victims of 9/11 attack rest in peace.

8 comments:

Malvenu said...

This is more of a chant than a banner, but they can use it if they like:

Give me an 'A' - 'A'
Give me a 'U' - 'U'
Give me a 'T' - 'T'
Give me an 'H' - 'H'
Give me an 'O' - ' O'
Give me an 'R' - 'R'
Give me an 'I' - 'I'
Give me a 'T' - 'T'
Give me a 'Y' - 'Y'
What have we got? - Er,.. um, where Do we derive authority from?
Does anyone know where we get our authority from?

Anyone?...

Dunno. Let's go and burn some Koran's...

The Bones said...

Ha ha!

Bryan said...

WE LOVE HENRY VIII NOW THERE'S A THEOLOGIAN WE CAN RESPECT'


"Henry VIII’s Letter to Pope Leo X on the subject of his book Assertio Septem Sacramentorum

Most Holy Father:

No duty is more incumbent on a Catholic sovereign than to preserve and increase the Christian faith and religion and the proofs thereof, and to trans mit them preserved thus inviolate to posterity, by his example in preventing them from being destroyed by any assailant of the Faith or in any wise impaired.

So, when we learned that the pest of Martin Luther's heresy had appeared in Germany and was raging everywhere, without let or hindrance, to such an extent that many, infected with its poison, were falling away...."

http://romanchristendom.blogspot.com/2008/04/assertio-septem-sacramentorum-henry.html

The Bones said...

Yes, but how would Henry have fared without St Thomas More to write everything for him?

Bryan said...

I thought St John Fisher was the alleged author.

"He [St John Fisher] has also been named, though without any real proof, as the true author of the royal treatise against Luther entitled "Assertio septem sacramentorum", published in 1521, which won the title Fidei Defensor for Henry VIII."

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08462b.htm

St Thomas More was asked by Henry to respond to the insulting work written by Luther against the Assertio but there is no good evidence that he wrote the Assertio.

The Bones said...

Dunno, only repeating what a friend told me.

Natasa said...

This post made me laugh.

I'm going to be greeting the Holy Father on thursday in Edinburgh. I wonder if there are going to be any amusing protest banners. If yes, I'll definitely let you know.

Anonymous said...

no hope in the Pope. Salvation is a gift from God through faith in Christ, plus nothing (no sacrements required....no works (Eph 2:8-9). Religion says do do do.....Bible salvation says "done" paid in full at Calvary once and for all, sufficient!!! ortondestiny@yahoo.com canada

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...