Friday 4 September 2009

I Do So Love a Good Wedding!



I've been at the Presbytery today doing the accounts of St Mary Magdalen's...an ongoing struggle! I just let a family in who wanted to do some flower arranging for a wedding of their son tomorrow. They had so many gladioli that I asked the groom if Morrissey was attending. He replied, "No, but Martin Rossiter is, because I'm in his band."

How exciting! It turns out that the groom is in a band with Martin Rossiter of 90's Britpop band Gene. I'm not sure whether Gene are still going but the groom is in a new band with Martin. I met Martin at a bar a few years ago and he kept turning up in places like Waitrose and Robert Dyas. Because I had told him that I was a massive fan of Gene, especially in my University days, I think that he began to imagine I was stalking him. Hopefully, I'll grab a moment to chat with him after Mass tomorrow, where he will probably think I am still stalking him. He's happily married now also. I'm going to ask him if he'd come and watch my band play at Brighton Live in October. We got ourselves a gig...we had to pay £5 for the pleasure, because we're not the kind of band you would actually pay to perform. Total amateurs but we do try hard!

Gene were often slagged off in the music press for wearing their Smiths devotion too much on their sleeves. Martin Rossiter even had the English camp flamboyance of Morrissey down to a tee, had a haircut like Morrissey and sounded, at times, rather like Morrissey on vocals. Still, when I was 18 I used to play this song to death at my Mum and Dads house. I don't think I ever did get to see them live, but there we go.

Anyway, I was so pleased to meet another Smiths fan, who also is in a band with Martin Rossiter, that I offered to serve at Mass for the happy couple on their wedding day. I do so love a good wedding! Apparently the groom's mother, though known as Madeleine was actually baptised Mary Magdalen! How apt is that!? And the groom is marrying a Polish lady. Thank God for those Poles!

1 comment:

gemoftheocean said...

Yikes, this sounds like these were the glads Blessed Raymond busted his keister on! [Quick, hide the evidence!]

The Pope Who Won't Be Buried

It has been a long time since I have put finger to keyboard to write about our holy Catholic Faith, something I regret, but which I put larg...